The ship museum Goto Predestiantia was opened two years ago, on July 27, 2014. The original drawings of Peter the Great time were used to build this otherwise modern ship. The new ship, however, is not an exact copy of the old one, as it is a bit smaller, especially its masts and other details. The berth, however, is at the same place, where in 1700 Peter the Great launched the first Russian ship of the line.
The construction of the ship’s copy started on July 15, 2011 at Pavlovsk, and three years later it became a new tourist attraction of Voronezh. The construction cost was 215 mn roubles.
5 things to know about the museum.
- In the past two years it was visited by about 60,000 people. 13 600 people have visited the museum in 2016.
- Among the visitors there have been quite a number of celebrities and famous people. Most of the celebrities coming to Voronezh do announce their plans, some of them simply do not have the opportunity to walk round the city and see its attractions. But it is known for sure, that among those who visited Goto Predistinatia were famous French actor, Pierre Richard, and a Russian TV presenter, Olga Romanovskaya, as well as such politicians as the prime-minister Dmitry Medvedev, the Chairman of the Federation Council, Valentina Matviyenko, and the Deputy Chairman of the Board of Directors of Gazprom, Alexey Miller.
- For the two years of its life the ship has sailed only once - on the opening day. Among those who had the opportunity to be there were the ship's constructors and those who organised the launching of the ship. No one can say for sure, whether the ship will sail often – some say it could happen twice a day, others think that no more than twice a week. Today, people working in the museum say that there are a lot of sandbanks around it, which makes sailing very difficult. So, we can only wait and see.
- The ship’s cat has found a new home. One month after the opening of the museum, a cat swam to the ship. All the local newspapers published the story about this cat being pulled out of the water with a mop. The museum curators even gave him a name – Boatswain. The cat occupied one of the ship’s storerooms, and used to walk along the berth in the evenings. But Boatswain did not become the museum’s new symbol. The cat lived at the museum for several days, and was then adopted by a family. A museum is not a place good for a cat.
- Goto Predistinatia is not just a museum, it has become a symbol of Voronezh that may appear on new banknotes. This symbol, together with Vasilly, the cat from Lizyukova Street – a well-known Russian cartoon character – was proposed for a contest held in order to determine the image of two new Russian banknotes of 200 and 2000 roubles. 43 other Russina cities also proposed their variants. Thus, Sochi proposed the Fisht Olympic Stadium, Novosibirsk – its famous Zoo, and Chelyabinsk – the meteorite that exploded over the city in 2013.
Information for the article was provided by the following website: